ASSE’s common interest group, Women in Safety Engineering (WISE) was started by a small group of forward-thinking women who saw a need to bring women together to discuss common concerns women find in the workplace. The organization, formed in 2001, held its first official gathering at the 2003 ASSE Professional Development Conference. Although the attendance wasn’t very large, the women there were ready to get involved and get to work. Now, there are more than 1,620 members. WISE is comprised of both men and women from all aspects of the SH&E profession, including; mining, construction, consulting, manufacturing, legal and education.
- Foster an environment that allows participating members to share ideas
- Publish a tri-annual newsletter
- Develop a presence at the annual National PDC through professional networking and educational sessions
- Foster a mentorship process that allows veteran safety professionals to help foster success by assisting new or potential safety professionals in understanding the profession and obtaining certifications
- Have a forum that allows for discussion that encourages and promotes women to make a greater impact within the safety profession
- Maintain the organizational structure of WISE to support the following:
- PDC activities
- Newsletter and publications
- Web administration
WISE is always looking for new ways to reach out to younger women to encourage them to have a career in occupational safety and health, industrial hygiene, risk management, environmental, or sustainability, or other related fields. Community outreach is another undertaking that WISE is interested in expanding.
If you would like to join us in this exciting mission or to find out more information, please contact Jennifer Zipeto (Chair) at Jennifer.Zipeto@disney.com or Elizabeth Sawyer (Vice Chair) at email@example.com . If you would like to donate to support the all of the work that we do for our members, please click one of the donation buttons below. To join WISE, contact ASSE at (847) 699-2929.